Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Electric Labyrinth Revisited






So when a few weeks ago I blogged about Arata Isozaki's Re-Ruined Hiroshima, I mentioned the legendary "Electric Labyrinth" installation. Well it was legendary in my imagination, because it sounded legendary. Browsing through Isozakis' super cute (though I'm not lovin the sketchy handcrafted layout) UNBUILT book,

I see photos from the said Electric Labyrinth, and while it is what it sounds like, it wasnt really what I had in mind. Still to be able to pull off an architectural installation during the 1968 riots is really quite a feat.


The installation was in fact cool, a forest of rotating metallic panels printed with images from Re-Ruined Hiroshima and with other images projected on top.
So not just a ruin, not just electric but also quite trippy, but hey it was the 60s after all.







Browsing through the book, there's of course plenty of space dedicated to the "Cities in the Air" category of projects, nice plan of clusters, etc.











Also, a great photo from  the maquette of the truly legendary Osaka Expo 70, that talks about all the mechanisms and the robots.
And then all of a sudden the book skips to Isozakis' later preoccupation with platonic solids and symbolism, leading right into his glass pyramid and terracotta arch period, which doesn't really make sense with the heroic projects of the 60's but maybe Osaka was the missing link to that transition. Anyways, I feel like I'm about to OD on blogging so...

No comments: